212.962.1333 Consultation



Disciplinary Hearings Page

Civil service employees have specialized needs in legal services and support. This is especially true in the area of personal injury. When a member of Local 237 has been injured as the result of an accident or medical malpractice, Tanner & Ortega, L.L.P. is the first, and only, phone call to make. We have been successful in recovering millions of dollars in legal compensation for injuries to members of the various local civil service unions throughout New York.  No firm has more experience or is more familiar with the specific challenges faced by, and the particular legal requirements of, members of the civil service community and their families than Tanner & Ortega, L.L.P.


  • Motor vehicle accidents
  • Trip and Fall accidents
  • Injuries arising from using broken equipment
  • Severe burns
  • Explosive chemicals
  • Scaffolding collapse
  • Cardiac and respiratory problems
  • Internal trauma
  • Neck injuries
  • Brain injuries
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Wrongful death
  • Medical Malpractice

If you or a member of your family has been injured consider the added benefit of a firm that understands your job and uses that knowledge to your advantage.We urge you to contact our offices and discuss your case with us. We will provide you with a free case evaluation. We will answer your questions and ease your concerns so that you can concentrate on healing from your injury. If you are unable to travel to us, we will come to you.

Frequently Asked Questions in Personal Injury Cases
The following information includes frequently asked personal injury questions. The answers stated are general in nature and are not intended to apply to every personal injury situation. Each case is different and carries its own set of circumstances which must be taken into consideration by competent legal counsel. By contacting us you can receive a personal consultation regarding your specific legal claim.

What financial compensation can I recover in a personal injury claim?
Personal injury accident victims are entitled to recover monetary damages for all losses and expenses sustained as the result of an accident. Depending upon the particular circumstances of your case, damages may include recovery for any of the following:

  • Medical bills
  • Pain & Suffering
  • Physical Disability
  • Disfigurement
  • Emotional Trauma
  • Mental Disability
  • Property Damage

Is it a mistake to deal with the insurance company on my own if I have been injured in a construction work accident?
Never assume that the employer or the insurance company cares about your construction work injury or cares whether you receive fair compensation for your on-the-job accident. The employer and the insurance company have many attorneys on their side who know how to make the workers' compensation system work in their favor and against you. If you have suffered any type of personal injury including bodily injury, sickness or disease, or if a loved one has died as a result of a construction accident, make an appointment for a free consultation with New York Tanner & Ortega, LLP right away in order to secure the medical care and compensation you deserve.

What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death occurs when a person's death was caused by the negligent, willful or wrongful act of another. In addition to injuring the person who died, people who depended upon the deceased for financial or emotional support may be entitled to compensation for the wrongful death. The State of New York has enacted a statute permitting a lawsuit to be brought by the relatives of a person who died as a result of a wrongful act. New York wrongful death Attorneys Tanner & Ortega, LLP,understands what your family is going through when you have experienced the tragic loss of a loved one in a wrongful death accident, and he is ready to guide you through the complicated procedures of a wrongful death lawsuit.

Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?
A wrongful death case alleges that the decedent was killed as a result of the negligence of the defendant, and that the decedent's immediate family members (often called "distributees") are entitled to monetary damages as a result of the defendant's conduct. The most common distributees are surviving spouses and children, and sometimes parents.

Pecuniary (financial) injury is the main way damages in wrongful death cases are computed. Courts interpret "pecuniary injuries" as including the loss of support, services, lost prospect of inheritance and medical and funeral expenses. Punitive damages may also be awarded in cases of serious or malicious wrongdoing to punish the wrongdoer, and/or deter others from behaving similarly. New York wrongful death lawyers Tanner & Oretga, LLP stands ready to fight for your family to get the just compensation you deserve following the unnecessary loss of a loved one.

What should I do if I've been injured in a slip & fall accident?
Most businesses and homeowners carry liability insurance to protect them in the event that someone is injured while on their property. The owner or possessor of a residence, land or place of business has the duty to exercise reasonable care for the protection of those individuals who are invited to come upon the premises; i.e. individuals visiting for business or pleasure. In such cases, the owner, company or person must inspect the premises to discover any dangerous conditions and warn the invitee of dangers upon said premises. Those injured by a negligent owner or possessor of a premise may recover damages for their injuries, including loss of income, medical expenses, pain and suffering, etc. New York slip and fall Attorneys Tanner & Ortega, LLP has the experience and reputation that you need to aggressively stand up for your rights and get you the compensation that you deserve when you have been seriously injured in a slip and fall accident.

What is medical malpractice?
Medical malpractice is negligence committed by a professional health care provider-a doctor, nurse, dentist, technician, hospital or hospital worker-whose performance of duties deviates from a standard of practice of those with similar training and experience, resulting in harm to a patient or patients. Most medical malpractice cases are based on the concept of negligence-that is, the patient was harmed because the health care provider failed to meet the required standards of skill and care, in accordance with generally accepted standards. Instances of malpractice might include cutting off the oxygen supply during surgery, misdiagnosing an injury because routine tests and procedures were not followed, or prescribing an illegal drug or one not approved for the patient's condition. New York medical malpractice lawyers Tanner & Ortega, LLPrepresents seriously injured medical malpractice victims and can advise you on the merits of your individual case when you call for your initial consultation.

Does someone who is simply not satisfied with the results of surgery have a malpractice case?
No. In general, there are no guarantees of medical results, and unexpected or unsuccessful results do not necessarily mean that negligence occurred. To succeed in a medical malpractice case, a plaintiff has to prove that a medical injury or related damages resulted from the doctor's deviation from the standard of care pertaining to the procedure, not that the results from a standardized medical treatment were unsatisfactory.

How do I begin a medical malpractice lawsuit?
If you think that you have a valid medical malpractice lawsuit, it is wise to seek out an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice. Medical malpractice is an extremely complicated area of law that raises many complex and intellectually difficult legal and medical issues. New York medical malpractice lawyer Hugo G. Ortega is skilled and dedicated to fighting medical malpractice and provides a free initial consultation to determine whether your case is worthy of further investigation. New York medical malpractice Attorneys Tanner & Ortega, LLP has a number of experienced experts who can determine not only whether the case is viable, but also how difficult the case will be to try before a jury. Call him today for your free initial consultation.

What should I do if I am attacked and bitten by a dog?

(1) Try to identify the dog that bit you and see if you can get the address to the house at which the dog bite occurred.

(2) Get medical attention as soon as possible after being bitten and follow all physician instructions relating to your care. Get medical attention quickly because any delay in getting medical attention could affect your eligibility for a claim.

(3) As soon as possible after you've received medical attention, focus on finding out as much as you can about the dog and the owner, including whether or not the owner has insurance. Types of insurance policies that typically cover dog bites include:

  • Homeowner's insurance
  • Renter's insurance
  • Landlord's insurance (covering the owner, occupier and/or manager of property)
  • Commercial general liability insurance (covering stores and other businesses)
  • Insurance covering employers (protecting employees only)
  • Motor vehicle insurance

(4) Call and make an appointment for a personal consultation with New York dog bite Attorney Hugo G. Ortega.

How do I take action right now to protect my rights?
If you or someone you know in the New York Metropolitan Area, including Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, New York, Nassau, Suffolk, or Staten Island needs the representation or legal advice of an experienced serious injury lawyer, call New York accident Attorneys Tanner & Ortega, LLP today at 212-962-1333, or complete the contact form provided on this site to begin your free consultation with Attorneys Tanner & Ortega, LLP.

© 2024 Tanner & Ortega - Migrated to Zoho | Attorney Advertising
175 Main Street, Suite 800, White Plains, NY 10601
| Phone: 914-358-5998
299 Broadway, Suite 1700, New York, NY 10007
| Phone: 212-962-1333

Victim of Sexual Abuse | Personal Injury | Criminal Defense | Criminal Defense: White Collar Crimes | DWI/DUI Defense | Civil Litigation | Employment Law | Traffic Violations | Article 78 Appellate Proceedings | | About | News and Media